Sunday 21 July 2013

Paper Doll, John Mayer

I know this song came out back in June, but I've only recently 'discovered' it and completely fell in love!!! "Paper doll" is such a beautiful song but the links to Taylor Swift takes away the beauty from this song.
A lot of critics have said that this single is aimed at John's public relationship with Ms Taylor Swift. Is someone getting their own back after she released a single called 'Dear John'? We all know she's famous for writing about her ex relationships, it was about time someone gave her a taste of her own medicine.  
There are definitely hints of the pop princess in the song; The chorus of the song starts 
"You're like 22 girls in one/ And none of them know what they're running from." Is this a reference to Taylor's popular hit "22" (Which I L-O-V-E). T-Swifty sang " You paint me a blue sky and go back and turn it to rain," in her song "Dear John". In which John replies with "Someone's gonna paint you another sky." Seems pretty obvious to me!!!
But if that's not enough John gives us more, he mentions ponytails, high heels, red scarves and dresses which match Taylor's fashion sense just perfect. Interesting.........

Another issue I have with the song, is the lyric video in which Joanna Rohrback (who i'm not familiar with) is doing 'Prancerise' this song is to beautiful for a old women to be prancing around in. This song should have a love scenario video to accompany it, not bloody Joanna Rohrback!!! 
This call leads me to question the direction in which John Mayer intends to continue his musical career. 

"Paper Doll" is a gorgeous and simple song. I'm in love with it and i'm constantly playing it , but my judgement lies not with the song but the future of John Mayer, who always seems to surprise me. 
I'm eagerly waiting Paradise Valley. 

Let me know your views on "Paper Doll" and the video in which accompanies it!!! would love to know. 

John Mayers Paper Doll




No comments:

Post a Comment